Sunday 7 February 2010

Surf trip on the Mainland 1.

Hit the road

Yesterday I got on the ferry with my car and with my rumbling stomach. Instead of getting worse I just fell asleep owing to the swinging ship. I woke up in Weymouth. First mission was to get prepared for the next day, which meant I had to find a place to spend the night. It was quick, the seafront was full of hotels and guest houses. 20 quid per night, perfect.

Message to Nadine that I’m alive, wasn’t wiped out by the storm, didn’t sink into the water, and actually I arrived at the place where I wanted. After I thought I solved a problem just got another one. I wasn’t able to send a message from any of my SIM cards. So next day's program was to find out what happened to this technical device, get internet connection, buy a mini gas stove and above all find a surf place.

This morning I saw the bay, from my window. Not bad! After spending my morning taking some tourist pics and solving this technical disturbance (but I don’t still have internet connection) I just kept asking people about good surf spots. Three were recommended, but Kimmeridge “Kem’ridzs” won, because a sales guy from a surf shop told me this is the most popular location.

I was struggling on the way there, just kept asking people about the right direction, fortunately I met a couple who live there, and they offered to lead me there. So I got there fair fast. The view was spectacular, like before the way down there.

It was completely different, not like waves in Jersey, they were fast, entirely unpredictable, coming from two, three directions, duration was high, but they looked like lower and wider, so I went among them, and that sucked! The water was dirty, the bottom was rocky – ok it was told to me that place is a reef break. Even though it was worth doing this!

Tomorrow, heading to Sidmouth, where I wanted to get today, but I changed my mind, anyway, I like this way. Maybe I’ll drive up to Bath, and after visiting that, I’ll go to west Cornwall, Newquay, Bude, Polzeath, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment